By Die kalte Sonne
(Translated/edited by P Gosselin)
On July 7, 2014, at the blog ‘Media Matters for America‘ appeared an article by Alexander Zaitchik on the 9th International Climate Conference in Las Vegas titled: Climate Denial Goes Vegas.
Among other things, the focus was to shine a bad light on the speakers and to portray them as paid hacks of the coal industry. But this flopped. Just take a look at Zaitchik’s part on Sebastian Lüning:
Day Job: Senior geologist with the oil and gas company RWE Dea in Hamburg; Co-author of Die Kalte Sonne (The Cold Sun), which argued climate change is the result of solar flares and cycles.
Industry Ties: Heartland Institute. His co-author on The Cold Sun was Fritz Vahrenholt, CEO of his energy firm.
Climate Expertise: None
(1) Lüning has been not been working for RWE Dea since 2012.
(2) In our book Die kalte Sonne / The Neglected Sun, we argue that also CO2 plays a role, but has a significantly lower climate sensitivity than what is claimed by the IPCC. This “complexity” likely was too much for Alexander Zaitchik to grasp.
(3) Lüning did not receive any speaking fee from the Heartland Institute for his presentation in Las Vegas. Moreover the speakers who came to Vegas did so because they saw deficits in the public climate discussions and wished to bring the debate back onto a scientifically sound basis. Lüning also does not receive any financial compensation for his time-consuming daily blog work. Here asserting the “paid hack” theory is absurd.
(4) Zaitchik completely left out the fact that Vahrenholt was the CEO for a RENEWABLE energy company.
(5) Lüning has no climate expertise? Dr. Lüning is a geologist, a field that is an integral component of the climate science and that unifies a number of natural sciences. Moreover, Lüning has published a number of papers that examined sea level rise, the oxygen content of the oceans, and biological productivity, among other topics.
With such a sloppily researched essay, Alexander Zaitchik would not have received a grade at a University. The personal veil hiding that he is an IPCC spear carrier is so thin that obviously untalented activists from the very back rows are leading the cause.