It’s not a well known fact but it’s pretty much just the EU and a few other activists scattered across the rest of the world who are supporters of forcing CO2 emissions reductions through binding greenhouse gas emission treaties. Indeed about 86% of the world opposes binding, Kyoto-type treaties, and so disagree with the remaining 14% fringe EU minority.
Europe’s emissions law threatening trade war. Photo: Alan Radecki (Akradecki)
Countries like India, China and Russia only support such treaties if they themselves are exempt from compliance and if the US isn’t.
The EU has decided to defy the vast global majority and is now demanding that all airlines flying into or from its territory purchase GHG emission permits. Furious, 23 countries (among them China, USA, Russia, India, etc.) convened in Moscow last week and signed a joint declaration expressing their disapproval and threatening the EU with a trade war should it continue to defy international will.
Read more here in English at http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,817426,00.html