220,000 plus climate e-mails are about to be unloaded by the mysterious Mr. FOIA. Who could he or she be?
My feeling is that the authorities are going to find the identity of Mr. FOIA in lickety-split time. A manifesto is, after all, what revealed the Unabomber. These forensic language experts are really really effing good and they are going to see stuff in the little manifesto you could never imagine.
The message left behind by Mr FOIA, posted at WUWT, CA, and other places, is a gold mine for forensic language experts: Here are just a couple of my own observations:
1. The person is obviously skilled with information technology.
2. He is from mainland Europe because he writes 220,000 the way many mainland European countries do, i.e. with a point: 220.000.
3. He has the unique habit of double spacing after each sentence (at least that’s how it appears at WUWT). Strangely, there’s only one space after question marks.
4. He must have spent a lot of time in the USA, in academia; his English is impeccable, and he spells words in American English, e.g. organize and not organise. I’m guessing he’s from Holland or Scandinavia.
5. He likely has a full time job, as he writes: “…skimming through all 220.000 emails would have taken several more months of work in an increasingly unfavorable environment.” This could mean he’s got other things to mind to, like work and a family. On the other hand, perhaps with “unfavourable environment” he means that policymakers are getting ready to unleash something, and time is running out. He’s under pressure.
6. Not an insider at the CRU, but obviously someone close.
7. I use “he” because I just have the feeling it’s written by a man. I can’t tell you specifically why. Calling himself “Mr. FOIA” is an obvious clue.
Summary, after 30 minutes of analysis all alone, I’d say he’s northern European guy, in his early-mid 50s, having spent a long time in the US, and having held an important position in climate science, has good IT knowledge.
Should be possible to narrow it down to a group of a few dozen or so.
Hopefully Mr FOIA was clever enough to have built in linguistic features to throw authorities off the trail. Posting that little manifesto of his was courageous, but foolish if he wishes to remain unknown.
Interesting days are ahead. It’s easy to get spooked, if you let yourself. Remember that there are trillions at stake, and people and states kill for magnitudes less.