Last updated: 05 January 2012.
The aim of this short guide is to give the readers outside of Germany a snapshot of the status of climate science and politics in Germany.
I) HOW IS AGW VIEWED HERE?
Germany is a country with a powerful green movement. Environmentalism has become a religion for many. Environmentalism is extensively institutionalized and pounded daily into the German psyche by the public-funded media, the state school system and other institutions. Climate protection has practically become the state religion. Not believing in man-made climate change will get you accused of blasphemy by the more radical elements. What you do to “protect the climate” is a measure of how good you are.
II) WHO ARE THE SCEPTICS / NON-ALARMISTS IN GERMANY?
The real “troublemakers” feeding scepticism in Germany are:
1. European Institute for Climate and Energy EIKE news and blog.
2. Professor Gerd Gantefor, solar physicist, author of the recent controversial book:Klima. Der Weltuntergang findet nicht statt (Climate: The End Of The World Is Not Taking Place).
3. Professor Fritz Vahrenholt and Dr Sebastian Lüning, authors of the controverisal book Die kalte Sonne (The Cold Sun – Why the climate catastrophe is not taking place).
4. Readers Edition, news and blog.
5. Prof. Josef H. Reichholf of the Technical Univ. of Munich.
6. Dr. Wolfgang Thüne, senior meteorologist and harsh AGW critic, website: Der Wettermann
7. Hans H.J. Labohm (Dutch), journalist.
8. Prof. Augusto Mangini, U. of Heidelberg (maybe not a sceptic, but critical of AGW science).
9. Dirk Maxeiner, journalist, German blog.
10. Matthias Storx, journalist.
11. Professor Hans von Storch of the GKSS (warmist, but scientific and welcomes debate, which is enough to infuriate the German consensus-demanding establishment) and runs the Klimazwiebel website: http://klimazwiebel.blogspot.com/
12. Klimanews blog.
13. eigentümlich frei magazine website: http://ef-magazin.de/
14. Freie Welt website: http://www.freiewelt.net/
15. Der Spiegel magazine once in a blue moon publishes sceptical pieces.
16. Also see petition of 77 sceptical German scientists.
17. And of course this site, NoTricksZone, which serves as window for the rest of the world to see what’s going on in Germany.
And see here for the Heiligenroth Klimamanifest signed by German scientists: http://www.klimamanifest-von-heiligenroth.de/
III) WHO ARE THE ALARMISTS?
1. Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research PIK. Government-funded.
2. PIK Director Prof. Hans-Joachim Schellnhuber – visionary of the Great Transformation (a dangerous social engineering experiment). He’s the no. 1 climate advisor to Chancellor Angela Merkel. Has tried to shut down debate read here and routinely attempts to marginalise sceptic scientists.
3. Prof. Stefan Rahmstorf, gatekeeper, attack-dog. Notorious for efforts to stifle dissent and to marginalise sceptics. Calls sceptical media reports irresponsible and disinformation.
Famous for publishing alarmist scenarios just before climate conferences.
5. German media, almost unanimously. Perfect example here and here.
6. Munich Re Reinsurer, purveyor of catastrophic scenarios.
7. The German school system, which repeatedly shows AIT to children uncritically.
8. A host of well-funded environmentalist groups like BUND, NABU, WWF, Greenpeace, Germanwatch, etc.
9. An array of companies set to make tons of money in trading CO2 certificates.
10. The vast majority of politicians, conservatives and environmentalists alike.
IV) ARE ATTITUDES CHANGING HERE?
Yes! Thanks to the little but vital information the media allowed to drip out about Climategate, the recent bitter winter and a small group of concerned but very active citizens, there’s been much success in educating the public. Recent polls have alarmed the massive Green Establishment. They’re in panic. The sceptics have the momentum. Indeed the dreaded “tipping point” may have been reached. Just a couple of years ago, the media promoted the notion of universal consensus, and Mann’s depiction of the last 1000 years as fact. Today they can no longer maintain that.
V) GERMANY’S POLITICAL PARTIES – HOW GREEN?
There are five significant parties in Germany.
1. CDU/CSU – center right. Equivalent to the US RINOS. Led by a centrist Angela Merkel. They like cap & trade and believe in AGW.
2. SPD – socialists. Equivalent to the US Democrats.
They love cap & trade, regulation and are in love with Barack Obama and the US Democrats. Against nuclear power. Led by Sigmar Gabriel – Fan No. 1 of Al Gore. He distributed 6000 copies of AIT to advanced secondary schools for indoctrinating university-bound children.
- . Made up of enviro-zealots, treehuggers and elitists. Vehemently against nuclear power.
4. FDP– Free Democrats – libertarian. Supporters of free markets, nuclear energy. But pay much lip service to green alternative energy, but not real big supporters.
5. Die Linke – The communists.
Currently a coalition of the CDU/CSU and FDP are in power. But they are weakening. Elections may have to be called.
VI) WHAT IF ELECTIONS WERE HELD TODAY (January 3, 2011)?
– CDU conservatives- 30%
– SPD socialists – 28%
– Green treehuggers – 2o%
– Die Linke communists – 7%
– FDP libertarians – 3%
That means there’d possibly be a Socialist/Green government, and thus a huge push by Germany for a global climate treaty. So, although there’s been much progress, there’s still much to do in Germany when it comes to educating the public.