The AGW religion in Germany is in deep trouble. Consensus is crumbling. the science is coming under attack.
It’s taken a awhile, but slowly and surely, Germany, once the premier power in science, is beginning to ask questions again. When lectures and seminars questioning climate science take place within academic circles and at German universities, then you know something is afoot.
Skeptic blog Readers Edition posted yesterday a clip of a seminar here by Professors Dr Klaus Landfried of Heidelberg and Dr Werner Kirstein of the Institute for Geography at the University of Leipzig before an audience at the University of Leipzig. The seminar is titled:
“Where’s The Climate Change?”
Dr Kirstein opens the seminar and expresses his surprise that so many people are in attendance, some travelling from far away. The introductory part is then handed over to Professor Dr Klaus Landfried.
Professor Dr Landfried reminds us that a university is one of the few places in society where questions can be asked freely, where answers are searched, and then questioned again, and that without any restrictions, in an environment where debate is free. Landfried says, “Religions have a hard time dealing with that.”
Landfried sets the tone of the seminar in no uncertain terms. This is a seminar that is absent of Rahmstorfian rules and Schellnhuber suppression.
At the 7:10 mark Dr Landfried slams any peer review process run by a good ol boys network.
In the world of science it is unavoidable, as humans are involved, that there are always attempts to portray truths as unacceptable, or to try to suppress them using methods that have nothing to do with science, and perhaps to even slander persons in an attempt shut them up. One method used here is to claim that everything that is good must go through peer review.
Dr Landfried delivers his speech forcefully, slamming peer review processes that involve a cartel of ideas, where some participants are excluded, and the others focus on concentrating their power. He reminds us that the misuse of peer review has always been a problem in science. Conflict in science is nothing new. For example, oncology has long been in bitter dispute.
At the 13-minute mark, Dr. Werner Kirstein starts his presentation. He addresses three main topics:
1. Are the IPCC model-based climate projections something to be taken seriously?
– model deficiencies
– quotes Neils Bohr: “Prognoses are always problematic, especially when they look at the future.”
2. Sea level rise and glaciers
– Satellite photos show that Bangladesh is actually growing 20 sq km per year.
– Bangladesh land area is 44,000 sq km more than 10,000 years ago (4.4 sq km growth per year).
– Axel Mörner and Vincent Gray say the IPCC is corrupt.
– Rahmstorf projects 140 cm rise, Fred Singer 18 cm, the GFZ 2mm/yr, Mörner max. 20cm by 2100.
– North German coast: no detection of any acceleration in sea level rise.
– For the Pacific Micronesia, tectonics are at play.
– Islands on the Carolina Plate are sinking because the Carolina Plate is being forced down.
– Slams Rahmstorf’s and Schellnhuber’s Potsdam Institute for disinformation.
– Observations vs models, nature vs IPCC.
– Glaciers have retreated and advanced throughout time.
– In the last 10,000 years, glaciers have been smaller than they are today 2/3 of the time.
– Arctic ice is also within boundaries of natural variation.
3. The controversy and politics of climate change
Many meteorologists say about climate science: ” That’s political and has nothing to do with science.”
Dr. Kirstein: “Climate change? – That’s political and has nothing to do with normal science, it’s post-normal science.” With post-normal science, politics is at the forefront and science is just a tool to promote and drive “good” policy” by spreading fear and sticking to a dogma. In the early 1980s, “scientists” projected that all trees would die in Europe by 2005. Dr Kirstein then quotes Hans von Storch:
Climate science is not normal. It’s post-normal.
Post-normal science is always for a good cause or a political agenda. The target is to achieve de-industrialiasation – The Green Economy – The Great Transformation. The modus operandi: by spreading fear. Kirstein then quotes Maurice Strong, John Houghton, Stephen Schneider, and explains some of the recent and infamous PR scare campaigns. There’s even a Climate Change Hotel and tourism in Greenland where you can actually “see climate change taking place”.
After viewing Dr Kirstein’s presentation, it is absolutely no wonder that Hal Lewis called “climate science” the greatest fraud he’s ever seen. Dr Rahmstorf, Dr Schellnhuber, your sham is up.