Strangely, this story comes to my attention from a German site: www.donnerwetter.de. Today, February 5, is National Weathermen’s Day in the USA. Actually now it is called National Meteorologists Day.
It is also to honour physician John Jeffries, born 5 February 1744, who kept detailed weather records in Boston from 1774 until 1816.
It’s no secret that a vast majority of meteorologists, i.e. experts in forecasting, disagree with the kook claims made by alarmist “climate scientists”, i.e. physicists who were taken away from their taxi-driving careers, thanks to government job-creation programs.
Okay, I know I’m going to get into trouble with that generalization. I admit – not all climate scientists started out as taxi drivers after getting their Phds.
What meteorologists think of climate science
Here’s what meteorologists think of global warming, according to a 2009/2010 survey of the American Meteorological Society (AMS) that was limited to television weather forecasters who are also meteorologists. Read here www.heartland.org:
* Only one in four American Meteorological Society broadcast meteorologists agrees with the United Nations’ claims that humans are primarily responsible for recent global warming.
* Only 24 percent of the survey respondents agree with United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) assertion, “Most of the warming since 1950 is very likely human-induced.”
* Only 19 percent agree with the claim, “Global climate models are reliable in their projection for a warming of the planet.”
* Only 19 percent agree with the assertion, “Global climate models are reliable in their projections for precipitation and drought.”
* The survey results support the claims of rank-and-file scientists who say global warming position statements by the bureaucratic branches of groups such as the American Meteorological Society (AMS) are out of touch with the scientific opinions of member scientists.
Who are are really the better forecasters?
I’m sure there are readers out there who are going to bring up the academic qualifications argument, as well as claim meteorology and climatology are different…yak yak yak.
All you have to do is look at who has been successful in making forecasts. For example, compare the seasonal forecasts of the Met Office to that of private meteorological organisations – who are not no-risk government-pampered outfits producing results where quality doesn’t matter financially. In fact, the more off-the-wall your results are as a government institute, the more the funding!
If your models cannot even get a 3-month forecast right – don’t even open your mouths about 50 and 100-year forecasts. Even your five and ten-year “climate forecasts” of rare snowfalls and mild winters have been completely wrong. And claiming the appearance of Godzilla is due to AGW and setting your science up as non-falsifiable only make you appear all the more look like charlatans.
Thanks to meteorologists
So thanks to all the meteorologists out there who have made a major contribution in preventing climate science from descending into the realms of mass panic and complete madness. Without you, Al Gore and the rest of the climate kooks would have had us believe that CO2 is the only thing driving the earth’s climate and we would have long since been under enviro-martial law :).
We really ought to make February 5 a national holiday for that.